7.28.2005

Short comment

To anyone who has used this link on a paperback trading service or this NYT article about used books to lament about author royalties. You best give up the following services before I will take you seriously: netflix.com, Blockbuster, any local video shop, Gamefly.com, any online game rental sites, used record shopes,libraries, semi-legal p2p sites, thrift stores, second hand stores, borrowing from friends, getting galley copies/ advance copies from publishers, mix tapes. Once I know you pay for every single piece of media you consume then will I listen to your arguments about how authors should receive money from the sale of used books and how swapping sites will kill publishing.

Thank you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Georganna Hancock M.S. said...

What do you propose as the cure? Illiteracy is rampant. Book prices rise beyond the reach of the literate. Shall we become a meritocracy of literati?

2:31 PM  
Blogger john said...

As a cure for? I'm all for used book stores and book-swapping sites. I want more of them. The book round-robins I've participated in have given me a chance to read titles I never would have picked up. My post was in response to the authors who compain that used books hurt them because it's stealing money out of their mouths and yet have no problem with doing the same thing for other media.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home