10.02.2008

Kindle shorthand notes

I know I'll probably not get around to several full reports about the Kindle until well after I've grown bored with it. Here are some initial reactions and thoughts as I continue to use it.

-One week now and I have yet to recharge it. It could be that I don't use the whispernet.
-The experience of reading on the Kindle is like reading a printed page. Yes it's true, the e-ink page is a real improvement over previous readers. But that's not a ringing endorsement for the device. I mean it's basically saying, "Hey for $400 you can get a device that give you the same readability as a $20 book." The screen itself is not enough for me to say this is a real advance from the printed page
-The storage on the other hand is nice. I do like that I don't have to carry around an 800 page book. I like the idea that you can carry around several books on one device. That's a definite plus if you're someone who constantly carries around several books.
-I like the "buttons" that allow you to go forward a "page." When I first saw the device I thought the design was ugly (I still think it's ugly), and the buttons kinda silly. But being able to use the side of my hand to move forward is nice, especially on the T (no balancing acts while flipping a page).
-But at the same time I keep flipping pages since there's not a great way to hold the device without hitting a button.
-What happens when you deregister a device?
-Today while waiting on the T, I noticed that the text was a little pixel-y. I'm not sure if it was the battery power, the sun or the angle I was holding the device but it was strange. It wasn't that way during the commute, just those 5 minutes in that one spot.
- PDF problem. I'm going to see what Amazon's conversion does with the PDF, but so far the material I've read using Stanza.
-Questions for library policy:

  1. Access

    • lending policy

    • loan period

    • billing for lost damaged items

    • bar code

    • storage

    • charging of device

    • loading content on device


  2. Acquisitons

    • payment for content

    • accounting of payment

    • other financial issue


  3. Cataloging

    • record for device

    • record for content

    • necessary fields for MARC records

    • OCLC records

    • same record as print?

    • display in OPAC

    • other access points




Okay, that's it for now...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I must say this is a very informative post on Kindle. I myself am addicted to Kindle now for all my books. Well I say that kindle is never going to fail, millions of people have been using this and all are satisfied with the results of kindle, kindle conversion, in every aspect. I do have a kindle and the ebooks I buy, publishers get it published from ebookconversion.com

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home